The history of Amory First Methodist Church is a story of three church buildings, a roster of 39 members, but more importantly, years of Christian education, worship, and service to our community and nation.
The church began in 1889 with 40 members meeting in various locations until a church was built. The Frisco Railroad donated the present corner lot and the first church, a small frame building, was erected in 1894, debt free. Church membership grew, and in 1914 a large, brick-dome church was built, followed by an education building in 1925. After eleven years, the dome church burned on January 11, 1926. By early 1927, a church, much like the church today, was constructed and ready for use. It was dedicated Easter Sunday, April 17, 1927, with over 795 members. Tragedy struck again in February 1936 when the church was destroyed by another fire. Services were held in the high school during that period.
A replica church was built rapidly and debt free, using the same plans. It reopened on November 15, 1936 with the dedication of the Last Supper mural, a gift from Margaret Schuk of Cincinnati, the daughter of the construction supervisor. The youth, education, and recreation building was dedicated on April 25, 1972.
From the beginning, Amory First has provided programs of worship, education, and activities for all ages. We give thanks to God as we celebrate 125 years of ministry and ask God's blessing that we may continue to serve the work of his kingdom for the next 125 years and beyond.